Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The N word

While writing a paper, I decided to check out Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. I have been using Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary because it’s a quick access when checking the spellings of words instead of relying on Microsoft Word for spell check. Just yesterday I was listening to radio talk show and the topic was the N word. A lady called in and was discussing how the word is listed in the dictionary. So I thought I type the N word in the dictionary for myself to see what it actually says and the woman was right. In the Merriam-Webster Dictionary the N word is only referred to black people or a member of a dark skinned race. I thought I would be outraged but I'm not because I live in world where ignorant people still think like that and the fact that its in the dictionary that way just confirms how things really haven't changed. That was a really big run on sentence but you get my point. Here I was thinking the true definition of the N word was someone who is ignorant. I guess according to whoever wrote the Merriam-Webster Dictionary doesn't think so. Whats your thoughts?

Go ahead check the dictionary out for yourself. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=Nigger

No comments: